Here’s something for all you Bollywood fans...A song about Chana Jor Garam
At one of my cookery lessons, I was showing my class how to make chick pea curry. The discussion led to all the other recipes people could use boiled peas in and a lot of people mentioned humus. One of the learners told me about a recipe by the Curry Guy where he had roasted the chick peas with spices in the Oven. So one lunchtime, I made these garam garam chana to snack on . I owe the inspiration for this recipe to my class and the Curry guy.
This recipe is a lot easier than making Chana jor garam where you have to flatten all the chana before roasting them crisp and serving them like bhel with finely chopped onions.
- 480 gms of boiled chickpeas
- 1 tbls garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbls chat masala
1. Preheat your oven to 200C (400FGas Mark 6)
2. Make sure that your boiled chickpeas are dry. I boiled and drained mine and then left them to dry on a tea towel for an hour.
3. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients apart from the chick peas.
4. Pour all the spices over the chick peas and stir well
5. Transfer the chick peas on to a baking sheet and cook them in the oven for 20 minutes at 200C (400FGas Mark 6).
6. After 10 minutes, stir them with a spoon and allow them to cook for 10 minutes. Check the chick peas and if they are not dry and crunchy – give them 5 more minutes.
7. Enjoy them warm on their own or with finely chopped onions.
Do you have any quick and easy chick pea recipes?