Ingredients (serves 2) for Chick pea Curry or Chole chana curry:
- 2 cups of boiled kabuli chick peas
- half a can of crushed tomatoes you can used fresh tomatoes too)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon dry cumin, 2 small pieces of Cinnamon, 3 small cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons jaggery or brown sugar
- Some curry leaves
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance
2. Add the 2 tablespoons cooking oil to this, add the cloves and cinnamon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
3. Add the garlic and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.
4. Add all the spices, lemon and jaggery to the tomato mixture.
5. Cook all the ingredients until the tomatoes go soft and homogenous.
6. Add the boiled chick peas to the mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
7. Remove the chick pea curry to a serving dish and sprinkle it with some chopped onions, green chilies and coriander.
8. Some people add tamarind sauce to Chick pea Curry or Chole chana curry but this is an acquired taste so only add tamarind if you like the sweet and sour taste.
9. Chick pea Curry or Chole chana curry should be served hot with any of the Indian breads.
10 You can also serve Chick pea Curry or Chole chana curry as a starter by serving it as a topping over Alu tikkis. (Alu tikkis are potato pattis stuffed with peas
Other chick pea recipes you may like from my blog are:
- Creamy Alu chole
- Chick peas (Garbanzo beans) and potato curry or Alu chole using dark chick peas
- Oven Roasted Spicy Chickpeas – Garam garam chana
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.