Cooks and Co sent me a box of samples of their delicious antipasti products such as olives, chillies and peppers. They also sent me some cans of chickpeas. My young son came up with the idea of making a creamy curry using the chick peas and potatoes. The curry was perfect with hot parathas.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 400 gms can of chick peas
- 2 medium potatoes – peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 cup of pasata (Italian Tomato sauce)
- 1 cup single cream
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced using a garlic press)
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 1-2 fresh green chillies chopped into big chunks (so that people who don’t like hot food can discard them)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. brown sugar or jaggery
- Small bunch of coriander for garnishing
1. Heat the oil and add in the mustard seeds. Once they stop popping – add in the diced potatoes and stir so that all the oil coats on to the potatoes. Allow this to cook for 5 -7 minutes or until the potatoes soften.
2. Drain all the water that is in the can and wash the chick peas in warm water Add the washed chick peas to the potatoes. Add all the spices, herbs and the pasata to the mixture. Add one cup of water and allow the mixture to simmer on a medium heat.
3. Add the cup of single cream to the curry and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.