Garbanzos peas are often referred to as Chick peas, chole or chana and are a good source of proteins. Garbanzo beans and potato curry or Alu chole come in two or three varieties. The most popular are the fairly large white chick peas often called Kabuli Chana, the small dark brown variety or a strange almost green colour.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups of boiled chick peas (if using cans -drain the water and wash the chick peas in cold water)
- 2 small potatoes, washed and chopped quite small.
- 1 cup tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp dry cumin
- 2 small pieces of Cinnamon
- 3 small cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powder)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls brown sugar
- A small bunch of coriander
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance. Add the oil to this, add the cloves and cinnamon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
2. Add the potatoes and stir until they are coated with the oil. Now add the spices such as salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
3. Now add the boiled chick peas to the mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes on a medium heat.
4. Blend the tinned tomatoes, lemon juice and brown sugar and add to the curry and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and garnish it with come coriander. Serve this with rice or chappati.
Take a look at these easy curry recipes in my blog:
- Cannellini beans curry
- Red and white KIdney beans curry
- Vaal beans curry
- Butter beans curry
- Black eyed beans curry
- Kidney beans and sweetcorn curry
- Two bean curry
- Soya bean (Edamame) curry
- Chick pea Curry or Chole
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.