Garbanzos peas are often referred to as Chick peas, chole or chana and are a good source of proteins. Garbanzo beans and potato curry or Alu chole come in two or three varieties. The most popular are the fairly large white chick peas often called Kabuli Chana, the small dark brown variety or a strange almost green colour.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups of boiled chick peas (if using cans -drain the water and wash the chick peas in cold water)
- 2 small potatoes, washed and chopped quite small.
- 1 cup tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp dry cumin
- 2 small pieces of Cinnamon
- 3 small cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powder)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls
- A small bunch of coriander
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance. Add the oil to this, add the cloves and cinnamon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
2. Add the potatoes and stir until they are coated with the oil. Now add the spices such as salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
3. Now add the boiled chick peas to the mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes on a medium heat.
4. Blend the tinned tomatoes, lemon juice and brown sugar and add to the curry and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the Garbanzo beans and potato curry or Alu chole y to a serving dish and garnish it with come coriander. Serve this with naan bread and fresh salad.