I got my first taste of green soya beans (also called Edmame beans) in Japan where they serve them boiled and cold in their pods as a starter.
I usually buy frozen soya beans from the supermarket and cook them either with potatoes or add them to other vegetables to make a mixed vegetable curry. Today we made this simple soya and potato curry called soya bateta nu shak.
Fresh or frozen soya beans can also be used to make kachoris.
What are soya beans?
Soya beans, soy beans or edamame beans are vibrant green, protein-rich beans commonly used in Asian Cuisine. Soya beans are full of proteins and vitamins so great for vegetarians and vegans.
Mature Soya beans are often used to male soy milk or tofu. They can be used for cooking too but need to soaked overnight and cooked in a pressure cooker as they take a long time to cook. so it’s a good idea to cook a large batch and freeze into small bags to use. Once cooked, you can use them in any recipe.
Ingredients to serve 4 people:
- 2 medium potatoes -washed and diced.
- 2 cups of frozen soya bean
- 1 tbls oil (Most cooking oils are fine but try and use one which is low in saturated fats and trans fats)
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilly powder (or as required to your taste)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of ground cummin (jeera) powder.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- One cup of passata or any tomato products like tinned tomatoes.
- 2 tsp lemon
- 1 tsp of brown sugar or jaggery
- A small bunch of fresh coriander
3. Add a cup of water to this mixture and put the lid on. Cook this for 5 minutes on a medium heat, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Once the potatoes soften, add the passata or tinned tomatoes, cumin powder, grated/minced garlic and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Take a look at these easy curry recipes in my blog:
- Cannellini beans curry
- Red and white KIdney beans curry
- Vaal beans curry
- Butter beans curry
- Black eyed beans curry
- Kidney beans and sweetcorn curry
- Two bean curry
- Chick peas (Garbanzo beans) and potato curry or Alu chole
- Chick pea Curry or Chole
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.