Kidney beans and sweetcorn curry is one of our family’s favourite curries and have made it often when entertaining. It’s probably because these two ingredients are always in my cupboard. During lockdown, I must have made nearly every fortnight as it was also one of the favourite curries everyone wanted to learn how to make.
This curry is very popular with East African Asians and it’s often served at events such as weddings.
- 240 grams of Red Kidney beans (I used a can with the water drained)
- 100 grams of sweetcorn (I used frozen)
- 200 grams of passata
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp dhana jeeru (mixture of powdered coriander and cumin)
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- ½ tbls brown sugar (optional)
- small bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 green chilies sliced in the middle
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced using a garlic press)
1. Drain the water from the can of kidney beans, wash and rinse well. Transfer this to a saucepan and mix in the sweetcorn. Add water to cover the mixture and give it one boil and drain the water.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the passata, garlic, salt, turmeric, dhana jeeru, brown sugar, lemon juice, green chillies and half the coriander. (adding the fresh coriander during cooking helps to infuse the lovely coriander small).
3. In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds to the oil. Once the mustard seeds start popping, add in the passata with all the spices and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the drained kidney beans and sweet corn to the passata mixture.
6. Sometimes to make it creamy I add Greek style yogurt to the curry just before serving the curry.
Other Sweet corn recipes from my blog are:
- Sweet corn soup
- Sweet corn curry with nuts and desiccated coconut
- Bateta makai pawa ( potato and sweetcorn with flaked rice)
- Sweet corn salsa
- Makai kadhi
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.