Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups of boiled black eyed beans. If using dry black eyed beans remember you need to soak them overnight and then boil them until soft preferably in a pressure cooker.
- I cup of crushed tomatoes, fresh tomatoes or Passata.
- 2 tbls of oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp whole coriander
- 1 dried red chili
- 2-3 cloves
- 1-2 small Cincinnati
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls jaggery or brown sugar (optional)
- 1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
- 2 fresh green chilies sliced into 4
2. Add the 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a saucepan and, add the cumin seeds, whole coriander, dried red chili, cloves and cinnamon . Allow them to cook until they cloves pop and cumin looks dark brown.
3. Add the tomato mixture with the spices to this hot oil and cook until the tomatoes go soft and homogeneous.
4. Add the boiled black eyed beans to the tomato mixture and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
5. The sauce should all be nicely soaked up by the black eyed beans.
Tip:Some people like their gravy to be runny in which case you can add half a cup of water to the mixture.
6. Serve the curry with rice and chapattis.
If you have the Instant Pot follow this recipe
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.