Stuffed peppers are popular in lots of European and Mediterranean countries and each country has it’s version of stuffing from mild to spicy. I like to stuff mine with a variation of rice, couscous or quinoa depending on what I have available in the fridge. The red and yellow peppers as they are sweeter and better for stuffing with rice, tomatoes, mixed vegetables and black eyed peas.
For this recipe – Vegans can leave out the cheese or substitute it with vegan cheese.
Stuffed Peppers with Rice, Tomatoes, Mixed Vegetables and Black eyed peas
- 4 large peppers any colour
For the stuffing
- ½ basmati rice
- 1 cup passata
- ½ mixed vegetables chopped small
- ½ cup boiled black eyed peas
- 1 small chopped red onion
- ½ cup grated or sliced cheese or Vegan Cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6-7 small boiled potatoes
Prepare the stuffing
- Wash the rice and leave them to soak.
- Prepare the vegetables by chopping them small.
- Add 2 cups of water and allow the water to boil. Once it starts to boil, add the rice, vegetables and the black eyed peas to the water. Add the salt,pepper, turmeric and HALF the passata. Stir and close the lid and allow this to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
Prepare the peppers
- Wash and cut the tops of he peppers. Save the tops of the peppers to use as cover for when the stuffed peppers are cooking.
- Transfer the peppers into a pot of water and cook the peppers for 10 minutes or until theya are wilted and soft.
- Drain the water and transfer the peppers to a greased baking tray. Pour the remaining passata on the base of the peppers and add salt and pepper to the passata.
- Fill the peppers with the cooked rice mixture and top them with the chopped onions grated or sliced cheese.
- Cover the peppers with their tops. Add the boiled potatoes around the peppers.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve them hot after removing the tops covering the pepper.
- Scoop the warm passata sauce over the potatoes and peppers and enjoy
- This is what my sliced pepper looks like.
These are some more stuffed pepper recipes in the blog you may wish to try out:.
- Stuffed peppers (Keto Recipe)
- Spicy Rice Stuffed peppers with sweet potato wedges
- Stuffed pepper with Quinoa, Bulgur, Spinach Mozarella cheese and Kidney Beans
- Stuffed peppers with couscous and feta cheese
- Halloumi Stuffed peppers
- Stuffed peppers and tomatoes with Indian Taste
- Stuffed Romano Peppers and Capsicums
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.