After Christmas I am trying to eat healthy so I made this crunchy couscous salad for my lunch. This salad is healthy and quick to make. The salad is also vegan as it doesn’t have any dairy or egg dressings.
Ingredients for 2-3 lunches
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables ( you can use any)
- ½ ready boiled black eyed peas ( you can also use chick peas)
- 3 inches size cucumber – chopped into cubes)
- 1 medium carrot – (chopped into cubes)
- 1 pink lady apple (chopped into cubes. Save a few slices for garnishing)
- ½ juice of fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili powder to taste
- Dhana jiru (ground cumin and coriander mixture) to taste
- 5-6 stalks of freshly chopped coriander
- ½ capsicum (chopped into small cubes)
- 8-10 red grapes (halved)
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
1. Mix the couscous with 2 cups hot water and allow to soak whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Cook the frozen vegetables and drain.
3. Add the black eyed peas and cooked vegetables to the couscous. Also add the spices and lemon juice to the couscous – to your taste.
4. Chop and prepare the salad and fruit
5. Add the chopped fruit and salad to the couscous. Also add the olive oil and mix it using a fork. Taste and season as per your taste.
6. Chill in the fridge until you wish to serve it for a quick lunch.
How do you like to season your salad?