Over the Christmas period, my son was home and he encouraged me to try going vegan for January as he has been a vegan for a number of years. We have enjoyed trying out a whole range of vegan alternatives and substitutes. I am pleased to say that I have not really missed out on anything. We all love naan bread with different flavours so we decided to make some to go with our Tofu mutter curry. I have a very simple naan recipe on my blog which has Greek style yogurt as one of the ingredients. In my cookery class when I am teaching vegans we use soya yogurt, instead of the dairy yogurt, and the naan has turned out great. However, we didn’t have any soya yogurt so we looked on Google and found an easy to make naan recipe on Chetna Makan’s website. We adapted it slightly to make it vegan using the ingredients we had.
ingredients for 5 small naan
- 300 gms plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbls vegetable oil
- 130-140 ml soya milk
- Vitalite or any vegan butter to spread on the naan when serving
- 2 tsps whole cumin
- 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic
- handful of finely chopped fresh coriander
1. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and oil in a large mixing bowl. Mince the garlic using a garlic press and add it to the dough and mix it in. Warm the milk to hand hot temperature and slowly add it to this mix till it forms a smooth soft dough. If you need more liquid to bind the dough – use hot water. Knead this dough for about 10 minutes. Keep it covered in an oiled bowl for an hour.
2. Lightly Roast the cumin and keep aside.
3. After the hour, knead the dough and divide it into 5 balls.
4. Turn on the grill to the highest setting. Put some foil on the grill and lightly oil it to stop the naan from sticking
5. Roll out the naan in a round shape and sprinkle the chopped coriander and cumin seeds on the top. Lightly press them into the naan using a rolling pin.
6. Gently pull the naan from both ends to elongate it and put it under the grill and cook one side until it browns. You will see that it rises a bit.
7. Turn the naans and cook the second side until brown 8 . Spread the vegan butter to the hot naan and serve it with any curry.
Homemade naan is so much tastier and healthier than ready made naan. And it’s so quick and easy to make. Thanks Chetna Makan for your recipe.