My recipe for making traditional gujarati Ondhwo/ondhwa is here. Ondhwa is a perfect dish to serve for weekend brunches, snacks and picnics. I often serve it at BBQ’s too.
I had been meaning to try making instant Ondhwo without using the store bought flour for a while now. I decided to make it for Sunday brunch. The Ondhwo turned out really tasty.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 cups of ground chick pea dall (I soaked 2 cups of chana dall and blended it in a blender using some water. You can freeze the left over mixture)
- ½ cup corn flour
- ½ cup chick pea flour (Chana flour)
- ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup chick peas or which should be soaked overnight and then boiled until soft. (you can used canned version too!)
- 1 onion – chopped finely
- 1 carrot – grated
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables ( you can use any mixture you like)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
- 3-4 green chillies – finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate
- 3-4 tsbp lemon juice
- 1 tsbp sunflower seeds (optional)
- For the tempering:
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 4-5 tbsp oil
- 3-4 tbsp sesame seeds (save some to sprinkle on the top of the ondhwa)
- 2-3 cloves
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried red chilly (optional)
2. Mix all your vegetables and chick peas in one bowl. If you are using frozen vegetables, make sure they are defrosted.
3. Mix the vegetables and the mixed flours in a big mixing bowl. Add all the spices and the ginger, garlic and green chillies and mix well.
7. Serve it hot or cold with any sauce. I served it with tamarind sauce.