Cannelloni beans also known as white kidney beans. For this recipe, I mixed the white and Red Kidney beans as they are both are full of protein and taste really great together. They are available ready boiled in tins as well as dried beans which need to be soaked in cold water before cooking. The best way to boil them is in a pressure cooker as it is quicker. I have always been very fond of any kind of beans such as the butter beans or black eyed beans. I love them best cooked as a curry with a slightly sweet and sour taste. I added some frozen spinach to this curry for a change.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 can of white (cannellini) beans (240 gms drained weight)
- 1 can of red Kidney beans (240 gms dries weight)
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cups of pasatta
- 2 tbls cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 tsp whole cumin, 2 small pieces of cinnamon, 3 small cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
- 2 fresh green chillies
1. Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil and add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
2. Add the red and white beans, the frozen spinach and the spices – turmeric, salt and dhana jiru to the oil and stir so that the oil and spices coat the beans and spinach. I used Taj’s frozen spinach which is available in Asda but you can use any.
3. Add a cup of water and cook for 5-7 minutes. The spinach mixes in quite quickly and blends in well with the beans.
4. Add all the lemon, jaggery, garlic, curry leaves and pasatta to the mixture and stir. Allow this to simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add a teaspoon of garam masala and transfer the curry to a serving dish.
6. Serve the curry hot with rice.
If you don’t have red kidney beans, you can also use black eyed peas and make this Two bean curry and spinach in a tomato sauce
Other curries to try from my blog are:
- Two bean curry and spinach curry
- Rosecoco beans curry (Borlotti beans curry)
- White and Red Kidney Bean curry with spinach
- Chick peas (Garbanzo beans) and potato curry or Alu chole
- Cannelloni beans curry
- Kidney bean and sweetcorn curry,
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.