Ingredients to serve 4 people:
- 4 medium potatoes -washed and diced.
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 tbls oil
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder (or as required to your taste)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin (jeera) powder.
- One cup of Fresh tomatoes or tomato passata
- 2 tsps lemon
- 1 tsp of brown sugar or jaggery.
- A small bunch of fresh coriander.
1. Dice the potatoes into cubes and the onions into slices and soak them in cold water.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Once they start popping drain the diced potatoes and onions and add them to the saucepan. Add the salt, turmeric, chilly powder, sugar or jaggery and stir well so that all the spices are coated on the vegetables.
3. Add a cup of water to this mixture and cover.
4. Let this cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. (If you are in a curry to catch your favourite football match on TV – you can transfer this to a microwave and cook until the vegetables soften)
5. Continue cooking and checking until the potatoes have softened. This should take a further 5 or 10 minutes. The onions don’t take long to cook. Once the potatoes feel soft, add the passata, cumin powder and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve the dungri bateta nu shak with chappatis or rice. This curry can be served with puris,chapattis, bhakri, porathas, theplas, naan bread, khichedi, plain rice or even bread rolls.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.