This spicy couscous makes a quick and easy brunch and you can make it using practically anything you have in your larder.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings:
- ¼ cup boiled chickpeas (I used the dark brown ones
- 1 cup mixed vegetables. I used carrots, green beans, sweet corn and peas
- 2 boiled carrots – chopped round
- 1 boiled potato chopped into cubes
- handful of pican nuts and almonds both chopped small
- handful of currants
- ½cup of couscous
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ turmeric
- 1-2 tbl chili sauce or you can use soy sauce as well
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- A few curry leaves, coriander and chilly sauce for garnishing
- Soak the couscous as per the instructions on the packet. For mine it was 1 part couscous to 2 parts hot water. Add in the nuts and currants to the couscous.
2. Boil the potato and carrots. For the chick peas, I used ready boiled chick peas.
3. Heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once they stop popping add the mixed vegetables and the Chickpeas.
3. Add the spices – salt, turmeric, dhana jeeru . Once the vegetables have softened add chili sauce and mix. 4. Add the soaked couscous and mix it well. Put the lid on the saucepan and allow this to cook for 3-4 minutes. 5. Add the coriander and curry leaves.6. For an extra kick, top the couscous with some chili sauce, Garnish the couscous with the boiled carrots and potato. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the boiled vegetables.