Whenever I am running out of ideas of making a quick snack – be it lunch or brunch, I try to use couscous as it cooks so fast. And you can add so many cupboard sauces and fruits and vegetables to it to make it interesting. This spicy couscous makes a quick and easy brunch and you can make it using practically anything you have in your fridge or cupboard. The dish can be eaten hot or cold.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings:
- ¼ cup boiled chickpeas (I used the dark brown ones)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables. I used carrots, green beans, sweet corn and peas
- 2 boiled carrots – chopped round
- 1 boiled potato chopped into cubes
- handful of pican nuts and almonds both chopped small
- handful of currants
- ½cup of couscous
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ turmeric
- 1-2 tbl chili sauce or you can use soy sauce as well
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- A few curry leaves, coriander and chilly sauce for garnishing
- Soak the couscous as per the instructions on the packet. It’s usually 1 part couscous to 2 parts hot water. Add in the nuts and currants to the couscous.
2. Boil the potato and carrots. For the chick peas, I used ready boiled chick peas.
3. Heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once they stop popping add the mixed vegetables and the Chickpeas.
4. Add the spices – salt, turmeric, dhana jeeru . Once the vegetables have softened add chili sauce and mix.
5. Add the soaked couscous and mix it well. Put the lid on the saucepan and allow this to cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the coriander and curry leaves.
7. For an extra kick, top the couscous with some chili sauce, Garnish the couscous with the boiled carrots and potato. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the boiled vegetables and serve it on its own or with some crisps.
Some quick and easy lunch time recipes in the blog are listed below:
- Spicy couscous with vegetables, fruit and kidney beans.
- Crunchy Couscous vegan salad with fruit, veg and black eyed peas
- Spicy Couscous with mixed vegetables, nuts and a hint of saffron
- Spicy Couscous with potatoes and nuts (bateta couscous)
- Couscous with Healthy Vegetables
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.