Gor Papdi is a very popular dish in most Gujarati households. My mum always made the gor papdi and we loved it when she made them a bit firm by letting the jaggery cook a bit longer. The firm gor papdi were always packed in our lunch box or whenever we were going on a trip. Theplas, mango pickle and gor papdi was the usual snack packed for us.
For some reason, it’s always made and served as a snack during the winter months but I have never known it served as a dessert, when you invite guests. To make it a bit richer, I decided to add some almonds to the recipe. When my kids were young, I remember my parents always telling me to give almonds to them as it helps improve their brain power!! Not sure if it’s true but I thought adding the almonds to gor papdi and giving it to my son during exam time may help him with his revision.
Making it in the microwave was very much an experiment but the results were amazingly good. A fantastic sweet made in a matter of minutes.
1. Mix the wheat flour and one cup of ghee in a microwave proof dish
2. Cook this for 2 minutes at a time for 4 times (total 8 minutes) . After each 2 minutes, remove the dish and stir the mixture.
3. The mixture will start to have a lovely scent and go golden brown. It should remain moist. If it looks dry, please add a tablespoon of ghee before warming it again.
4. After the 8 minutes, add the almonds, jaggery, ginger powder and sesame to the mixture, stir and add one tablespoon of ghee to the mixture.
5. Cook this for 1 minute intervals, stir and cook 3 times.
6. Grease a thali and spread the mixture. Using a flat bottomed spoon, pat the mixture down. Using a sharp knife, cut out the diamond shapes but allow the mixture to cool before removing the Gor papdi pieces.
7. Remove the Gor Papdi and enjoy it. Any left over slices can be stored in an airtight container.
Do you have a favourite Indian sweet?
Recipes for some of my favourite sweets are in my blog. Do check out the following:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.