Last summer, a friend gave us some ripe blood peaches which were quite ripe but had a tart taste. I decided to use them to make some chutney which is almost like a jam. This chutney can be made tangy and hot or sweet and sour just by adjusting the ingredients to your taste.
- 10-12 Indian blood peaches
- 4 tsp sugar (use more if you like sweet chutney)
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 long cinnamon stick
- 2-3 star anniseed
- 4-5 dry red chillies
- 2-3 hot green chillies (use more if you like a hot chutney)
- 5-6 deseeded dates
1. Wash and chop the blood peaches into a mixing bowl
2. Add all the ingredients listed into the mixing bowl.
4. Continue cooking this until it starts to look like a jam or chutney. Take this off the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, transfer the mixture into a blender and blend it well so that the cinnamon, star aniseed, dates and chilies all mix in.
5. Transfer the chutney in to a sterilised bottle and enjoy as a condiment with any meal.