Summer time is the time when I enjoy making fruit jams and chutneys. I love visiting the local farm shops and farmers markets to see what is in abundance. Sometimes, such fruits and vegetables are cheaper as they are perishable. Also it’s fun to be sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine whilst you are chopping up the fruit or vegetable ready for whatever conserve you make.
Last summer, a friend gave us some ripe blood peaches which were quite ripe but had a tart taste. I decided to use them to make some chutney which is almost like a jam. This chutney can be made tangy and hot or sweet and sour just by adjusting the ingredients to your taste.
- 10-12 Indian blood peaches
- 4 tsp sugar (use more if you like sweet chutney)
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 long cinnamon stick
- 2-3 star anniseed
- 4-5 dry red chillies
- 2-3 hot green chillies (use more if you like a hot chutney)
- 5-6 deseeded dates
1. Wash and chop the blood peaches into a mixing bowl
2. Add all the ingredients listed into the mixing bowl.
3. Transfer these ingredients into a non stick saucepan and cook at medium heat. Use a potato masher to blend and crush all the peaches.
4. Continue cooking this until it starts to look like a jam or chutney. Take this off the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, transfer the mixture into a blender and blend it well so that the cinnamon, star aniseed, dates and chilies all mix in.
5. Transfer the chutney in to a sterilised bottle and enjoy as a condiment with any meal.
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out Watch out they may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Fiery Tomato chutney with hot Green Chilies
- Coriander, chili and apple Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.