Ingredients for about 20 Bateta vadas:
- 8 – 9 medium sized potatoes
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 green chillies – crushed finely
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger and garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt (or as per your taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- small bunch of coriander chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons of a ground mixture of cinnamon and cloves
- 1 litre oil for deep frying
For the batter:
- 2 cups chick pea flour (besan)
- A pinch of soda-bi carbonate
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of turmeric
1. Boil the potatoes with their skins on until soft.
2. Peel and mash the potatoes and allow them to cool slightly. I used locally grown new potatoes which had this lovely pale yellow colour.
3. Add in the crushed green chilies and grated ginger and garlic.
4. Add in the finely chopped onions, the salt, sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon and cloves mixture coriander leaves.
5. Mix all the ingredients well and taste the mixture. It should be nice and spicy as well as slightly sweet with a hint of lemon.
7. Add the salt and pinch of turmeric to the chick pea flour.
8. Add a cup and a half of lukewarm water to the flour and mix to make the batter.
Now make the bateta vada:
10. Heat the oil in a wok or karahi.
11. Add the soda bi carbonate to the batter and mix it well. Take a teaspoon of the hot oil from the wok/karahi and add it to the batter and mix. Dip each potato ball in the batter and deep fry until the Bateta Vada are golden brown.
12. Serve Bateta Vada with chutney or ketchup.
More snacks recipes you may wish to try out:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.