Savoury Rice with lentils and peas called Toor dall khichedi is a traditional Gujarati comfort dish. Khichedi or khichdiis one of those dishes you make at home for your self when you are feeling lazy or not too well. It’s a very easy to digest kind of a dish. It’s also a very healthy dish with the right amount of carbohydrates and protein.
It is usually made from an equal mixture of rice and lentils such as split mung beans or toor dall. Recipe for mung dall Khichedi can be found here.
This is a recipe for Khichedi made with Toor / Tuver Dall and Basmati Rice.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- Half a cup of Toor/Tuver Dall (pigeon peas dall)
- Half a cup of Basmati Rice
- 2-3 tablespoons of peas
- 2 small green chillies – chopped lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
1. Mix the rice and toor dall, wash it well and soak in cold water for as long as you can. I tend to put this soak in the morning ready to cook for when I get home in the evening.
2. Wash the rice and dall mixture again until the water is clear.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and allow them to pop and get a bit dark in colour.
4. Add in one cup of water and cover the saucepan.
5. Remove most of the water from the khichedi mixture and add it to the tempered water. Add the salt, turmeric, curry leaves and the green chilies. Also add the green peas. You don’t need to add the green chilies or the peas but I add them to give the khichedi a bit of kick and colour. Stir the mixture.
6. Cook the khichedi at a low heat and add half a cup of extra water to it if the dall isn’t cooked or sticking to the saucapan base.
7. Once cooked lightly fluff up the Toor dall khichedi and it’s ready to serve . This khichedi is often served with a peas and potato curry .
If you wish to make this khichedi in the instant Pot – the recipe is here.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.