Everyone has a comfort food they like to have when they are unwell. I had a really bad cold last week and didn’t want to eat anything too spicy so I made this peas and potato curry using simple and minimum spices. This recipe is an old favourite of mine and a similar one was posted a few years ago. This recipe has a few variations but equally tasty.
Ingredients to serve 4 people:
- 10 small new potatoes -washed and sliced
- 1 cup of peas – frozen, fresh or tinned are fine.
- 1 tbls oil
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilly powder (or as required to your taste)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of ground cummin (jeera) powder.
- One cup of fresh or tinned tomatoes (or passata)
- 2 teaspoons lemon
- 1 teaspoons of brown sugar or jaggery
- 5-6 curry leaves
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
2. Add the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Once they brown, add the diced potatoes and peas to the saucepan. Add the salt, turmeric, chilly powder, sugar or jaggery and stir well.
5. Once the potatoes feel soft, add the tomatoes, cumin powder and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot with any Indian bread e.g. bhakhri and khichedi.