Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of chilly powder
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of a mixture of cumin and coriander powder
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional)
- 2 medium sized boiled potatoes
- 3 cups of any frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup of passata ( or crushed tinned tomatoes)
- Small bunch of coriander (for garnishing)
- 2-3 green chillies (optional)
1. Soak your frozen vegetables in hot water and once they soften, chop them into smaller pieces.
2. Heat the oil in saucepan and add the cumin and mustard seeds to the oil.
3. The mustard will pop when the oil gets hot and the cumin will start to get darker. This means that the oil is ready.
4. Rinse the frozen vegetables and add them to the heated oil.
5. Add the salt, turmeric, chilly powder, crushed garlic and cumin coriander to the mixture and stir well so that all the vegetables get coated with the spices.
6. Cook this for a minute and add the passata to this mixture with one cup of hot water.
7. Allow this to simmer gently for 6-7 minutes.
8. Chop the boiled potato into small cubes and add it to the mixed vegetables.
9. Stir well and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
10. Add the lemon juice and brown sugar if you like a sweet and sour taste.
11. Transfer Potato and mixed vegetable curry to a serving dish and garnish with green chillies or coriander