Pigeon Peas are also called Gunga peas or Lilva tuver gungo and come in various forms. When they are fresh and green, they can be peeled like fresh peas. You can get fresh, frozen or tinned varieties of pigeon peas in most Asian supermarkets.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups of boiled pigeon peas
- ½ a can of crushed tomatoes ( you can used fresh tomatoes or passata too)
- 2 tbls cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 tsp dry cumin seeds,
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon,
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp of garam masala
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls jaggery or brown sugar (optional)
- 1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
- 1 tbls desiccated coconut
- 2 fresh green chilies
1 Heat the 2 tablespoons cooking oil and add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon. The cloves will pop and the cumin needs to cook until it goes dark.
2. Add the garlic, curry leaves and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.
3. Add all the spices, lemon and jaggery to the tomato mixture.
4. Cook all the ingredients until the tomatoes go soft and homogenous.
5. Add the boiled pigeon peas to the mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
6. Add the garam masala and remove the pigeon peas curry to a serving dish and sprinkle it with some chopped green chilies, desiccated coconut and coriander.
7. The Curry should be served hot with rice or any of the Indian breads.
I served the Pigeon Peas (Gunga, gungo Peas – Lilva Tuver) Curry with parathas
Other Lilva recipes are as follows:
- Kachoris with Lilva Tuver and Masoor Dall
- Green Tuver (Pigeon Peas) stuffed paratha
- Lilva tuver and potato Curry
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.