Did you know that Friday 12th June is International Falafal Day?
Ingredients for 20-25 falafels
- 3 cups of dried white chick peas (kabuli chana) or 4 cups of boiled chickpeas . (you can also use canned chick peas)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1-2 teaspoons of grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 litre cooking oil
- 6-8 pitta bread
- A variation of Salad – I tend to use white and red cabbage, carrots, red peppers, lettuce and tomatoes
- Plus a variety of condiments such as sour cream, tahini, chilly sauce etc
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight.
2. Once soaked, boil them with lots of water in a pressure cooker if possible. Boiling them in a saucepan could take longer.
3. At the same time, peel and boil the two potatoes.
4. Add the boiled chick peas, potatoes, onions,garlic, garlic, green chillies into a food processor.
5. Add the spices – salt and pepper and Blend the mixture.
6. Remove the mixture and add the plain flour as that helps to bind the mixture.
7. Divide the mixture into 20-25 small balls.
10. Warm the tortillas in the grill or BBQ.
11. Cut them in half and fill them with the Spicy Falafels , salad and any condiments you like. This is the time to be adventurous and try out a variation.
My son loved them and had them for his lunch for two days. His verdict was that they tasted better than the shop bought ones!! Now – that is a compliment indeed from my fussy eater.