- 12 to 15 small new potatoes
- half a can of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 2-3 fresh green chillies (optional)
- half a Teaspoon mixture of ground cloves and cinnamon powder
- a small bunch of coriander
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Wash the new potatoes and steam them with the peel on. I used a pressure cooker to steam mine.
2. Use a fork to prick the potatoes and check that they are cooked. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly by pouring cold water over the potatoes. Now gently peel the potatoes. Cooking potatoes this way keep them whole.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the cumin seeds to the oil.
4. Once the cumin seeds are dark, add the peeled potatoes. Allow the potatoes to be coated in the oil.
5. Add the salt, turmeric and chilly powder to the potatoes. Also add the green chillies if you like them.
6. Add the honey and allow the potatoes to cook on medium heat . I like my potatoes to get a nice coating of all the spices. Now add the half teaspoon of ground cinnamon and cloves powder.
7. Now blend the can of tomatoes and lemon and pour it over the potatoes. Stir well but gently to avoid breaking the potatoes.
8. Allow this to cook for 5 minutes.
9. Sprinkle New Potato Curry with coriander and serve the curry with some Indian bread.