When making theplas, we always like to have them with some sort of an easy to make as well – light and tasty curry. My favourite is potatoes and onion curry but lately some members of my family do not eat onions as they are allergic to them. I came up with this easy potato curry with a thick gravy achieved by adding a sprinkling of chick pea flour (besan/chana no lot).
- 10-12 baby potatoes
- Handful of fenugreek
- 2 fresh green chillies – sliced across lenghthwise
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup tinned tomatoes or passata
- 2 tbls chick pea flour
- 2 tbls oil (I used rapeseed oil)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dhana jeeru (ready mixture of cumin and coriander powder)
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 2 tsps garam masala
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into thick round slices. Wash them well to get rid of any starch.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan or wok with a lid. Once the oil gets hot, add the cumin seeds and allow them to brown.
3. Now add the potatoes and chillies. Stir them so that they are coated with the oil.
4. Now add the salt, turmeric, chili powder and dhanajeeru . Again stir well.
5. Using a sieve, sprinkle the chick pea flour on the potatoes. Stir and allow to cook for 2 minutes so that the spices and chick pea flour get cooked and coated on the potatoes.
6. Add one cup of water and add the fenugreek leaves. Allow to cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
7. Once the potatoes have softened, add the tomatoes and lemon juice and allow to cook on a low heat for 3-4 minutes.