This Savoury Rice with lentils is one of my comfort dishes. This is one of those dishes which has the proteins and carbohydrates and eating it simply with plain yogurt makes it a healthy dish to have.
For this is a recipe I mixed an equal amount of jasmine rice and lentils. The lentils used are called Tuver dall. (pigeon peas). I made this rice in the in the Instant Pot (IP). The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer.
For making this savoury rice using the Pot in Pot (PIP) method – use this recipe.
If you do not have the instant pot, please follow this recipe.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- Half a cup of Toor/Tuver Dall (pigeon peas dall)
- Half a cup of Jasmine Rice (you can use any rice)
- 2-3 tablespoons of peas
- 1 dry chili
- 2 small green chillies – chopped lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
1. Mix the rice and toor dall and wash it well with at least 3 changes of water. Allow these to soak in water whilst you get the rest of the ingredients and the Instant pot ready.
2. Turn the IP to saute mode and heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and allow them to pop and get a bit dark in colour.
3. Remove the water and add the rice and lentil mix. Also add the peas and green chilies. Add the salt and turmeric and stir the mixture.
4. Add 2 cups of water and close the Instant Pot lid. 5. Turn off the saute mode on the IP and cook this on the Manual mode for 8 minutes.
5. Once the Pressure cooker has released the pressure, open the lid of the IP and check.
Do share any of your Instant Pot vegetarian recipes on my facebook page