Sev mamra is an Indian snack. It is a mixture of spicy dry ingredients such as puffed rice called mamra and chick pea savory noodles called sev. It is a very light yet filling dish. Some people add fried peanuts and spicy rice noodles to it as well. I tend to make it with a mixture of sev and mamra. This can be eaten on it’s own as a snack or used for toppings on bhel puri and other Indian street foods such as pani puri, ragda patis, sev puri etc… This is favorite food for snacking and children like it.
What is sev?
Sev looks like thin noodles made of gram flour which are deep-fried and lightly spiced. They can be eaten on their own or with mamra added. My recope for home made sev is here. Sev can also be added to a curry like this sev tomato curry.
What is mamra ?
Mamra is a kind of a puffed rice and can be bought ready made . The usually need some spices added to give it some flavour. Adding them to sev makes this a perfect snack. Years ago when mamra were not available readily, Indian mums used to dry cooked rice and then fry the dehydrated rice to add to sev. This type of mamras taste excptionally nice. My recipe using home made sev mamra is here.
- 4-5 cups of home made sev Recipe is here (you can use ready made sev.)
- 3-4 cups of mamra (puffed rice)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp sunflower oil
1. Transfer the mamra to a microwave dish and cook for one minute, stir and cook again for 1 minute. All microwaves have different wattage so the time is according to my microwave which is only 750 watts. The mamra can burn or leave a burnt smell if cooked at very high wattage or for too long. You shouldn’t need more than 2-3 minutes to crisp the mamra.
2. Sprinkle the turmeric on the mamra. Dip your spoon in the oil and mix well.
3. Add to the cooked sev and mix well. Some people add extra oil to the mixture by doing a tadka or vaghar but I don’t as there is really no need to add extra oil to the sev mamra.
4. Once cool, store it in an airtight container. This can be stored for a couple of weeks.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.