Most Indians rustle up quick salad/kachumber with what ever salad ingredients they may have in the fridge. This salad when mixed with spices ends up tasting more like a relish or salsa than a plain salad. It goes well with all Indian curries and chappatis.
- 2 small onions
- 1 sweet chilly pepper
- 1 medium tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cumin and coriander powder (often called dhana jiru)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 tsp Chilly sauce (or any sauce you like)
- 1 tsp ginger juliennes to garnish
2. All all the spices including the chilly sauce, lemon juice and sugar/sugar substitute.
3. Mix well, cover with cling film and refrigerate. Garnish with ginger juliennes and serve with any Indian meal. The crunchy salad is simple and quick to make and adds flavour to any meal. You can add grated carrots, cucumber, radishes or fresh coriander to the salad too. As I said, it all depends on what you have in your fridge.