For my final marathon recipe, I have chosen this healthy high protein Quorn Mince Tacos with Quorn mince and Salad kids friendly recipe.
Let me first tell you a bit about Quorn as I am not sure how popular it is out of the UK. Quorn’ is the brand name for a range of meat-free ingredients and meals. Quorn is versatile and quick to cook. The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large fermentation vats.
Quorn is produced as both a cooking ingredient and a range of ready meals. It is sold as a health food and an alternative to meat, especially for vegetarians. The binding agent for Quorn is egg . Please checkout www.quorn.co.uk for more information.
Quorn Mince Tacos with Quorn mince and Salad dish is easy to make and it’s very healthy as Quorn has high protein and very low carbs.
Ingredients to feed 3-4 people:
- 12 tacos
- 3 cups of Quorn mince
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups of blended tomatoes. ( I used Passata as it is nice and thick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilly powder
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of salsa ( I just grated one tomato and Onion and added some salt and pepper and ketchup of it)
- some salad stuff such as lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, radish and red and white cabbage.
- 2-3 cups of grated Cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir fry the Quorn mince
2. Add the Passata, sweet corn and garlic.
3. Also add the spices like salt, turmeric and chilly powder
4. Allow this mixture to cook for 10-15 minutes.
If you are not sure about Quorn, you can use refried beans. Tins of refried beans are available in the supermarkets.
|Refried Beans can be used instead of Quorn mince|
5. Prepare the salad. I tend to keep all the items separately so people can choose what they want.
7. The tacos need to warmed slightly so you can either microwave it for a minute or warm it in the oven for 3 minutes at 180 degrees.
8. First fill your tacos with either the Quorn mince or refried beans.
9. Top up the taco with salad, salsa, sour cream and cheese.
10. Enjoy your Quorn Mince Tacos with Quorn mince and Salad with an icy cold coke!