I always get surprised at how us – Gujarati’s will make bhels and chaats out of any ingredients. I know that my MIL used to often top her baked beans with sev mamra, onions and various chutneys to have as a bhel. I find that the easiest chaat to make when you are in a rush is aloo chaat.
Today, I had some left over dhokla so I decided to spice them up similar to bhel/chaat to make what we can khaman dhokla. It’s really easy and you can use any toppings and garnishing you like.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings:
- 15-20 small pieces of dhokla
- 2 bowls of sev noodles (you can also use sev mamra, crisps, chevdo or Bombay mix)
- 2 tbls of oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp of sugar (optional)
- 1-2 tbls lemon juice
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3-4 finely green chillies
- 1-2 small finely chopped sweet chili peppers or half a capsicum
- 2-3 tbls of green coriander chutney (you can use any ready made chili sauce too)
- 2-3 tbls of tamarind sauce (you can use any ready made chili sauce too)
- bunch of chopped coriander
1. Transfer the dhoklas to a large bowl.
2. Using your hands crumble them as much as you can.
3. Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Once they stop popping, add this on top of the crumbled dhoklas.
4. Add the sev noodles on top of the mixture and stir well.
5. Top this with the chopped onions, coriander, peppers, chilies. Add the lemon juice and salt (if needed). Taste the mixture and add lemon and sugar if you like a sweet and sour taste.
6. Serve Khaman Dhokla Chaat cold as a crispy sweet and sour snack
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.