Crispy sev is shaped very much like thin vermicelli. The thickness of the sev depends on the disc you use. Sev or Chickpea noodles Snack is usually made salty but can also be made spicy by adding chilly powder. It is eaten as a snack on it’s own or as sev mamra where you add puffed rice to it. It’s also used to sprinkle on a lot of Indian fast foods such as bhel puri and sev puri. It is sold in packets in most grocery stores or Indian takeaways. But did you know how easy and cheap it is to make at home? Apart from the ingredients you will need the following gadget. I call it the sev gathia machine which has different plates to make various sizes of sev. This is sold in most Indian shops selling utensils.
Ingredients for making sev (using the following measurements I got about 500 grams of sev):
- 2 heaped cups of chick pea flour
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- pinch or turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 litre oil for frying
- 1 cup warm water for mixing the dough – to use as required
1. Sieve the chick pea flour, rice flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the turmeric and lemon.
3. Add warm water and mix the dough using a fork for as long as you can. Chick pea flour can get very sticky. Once you get the dough mixed, grease your hands and check that the dough is of a fairly soft consistancy. Transfer this to a clean plate and allow the dough to rest for half an hour.
4. In the mean time, heat the oil to medium heat.
5. Grease the sev maker cylinder lightly with oil, choose the thinnest disc and fill it with the dough.
6. Turn the handle and drop the sev directly into the hot oil in a circular fashion, spreading it evenly in the oil, so it does not stick together.
7. Turn the sev once and allow to cook. The sev is best cooked at medium heat or itwill burn.
8. Remove the sev with a metal skimmer and place it in a colander to allow any excess oil to drain off.
9. This is the bit – I hate doing as I like the round piles. The sev needs to be broken gently and stored in an airtight container. You can use some Sev or Chickpea noodles Snack to make sev mamra too.