I had a few days away from blogging because I was celebrating Diwali with friends and family. It was lovely to be able to cook and share some traditional dishes with them.
At the weekend, I took the to the local farmer’s market. I love going to the farmer’s market as you can pick up so many varieties of home grown vegetables. I bought a huge bag of the tiniest new potatoes I have ever seen. In fact, the potatoes were so tiny that I felt that if I peeled them – there would not be much potato left to taste!! At the same time they were covered in a lot of mud. I managed to clean the potatoes by soaking them for a couple of hours. In spite of cleaning them, I didn’t have the heart to eat them with the skin on so I decided to steam them first.
Once steamed, I cooled them by pouring cold water on them. This helped to peel the skin too. Once the skin was peeled, it was so much easier to cook them. I decided to make these spicy potatoes which my friends loved. You can serve these as a starter or at barbecues with salad too. We had them with hot hot chappatis and rice. This is a very easy to make recipe.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 25 small baby potatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs chick pea flour (besan)
- 1 tbs dhana jeeru (ground mixture of coriander and cumin)
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic (you can more if you like garlic)
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1tbs sugar or sugar substitute
- 6-8 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 2-3 green chillies – sliced into two (optional)
1. Steam the potatoes and peel the skin.
3. Add the salt, turmeric, chick pea flour and dhana jeeru.
5. Stir the mixture and allow to cook on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Allow the potatoes to brown very slightly and become crisp.
6. Add the fresh coriander and curry leaves if you have them available.
7. Stir in the coriander as this will give it a lovely lemony fragrance of the coriander and curry leaves.
8. Add the lemon juice and sugar and cook for a couple minutes more.
I am linking this recipe to the event (In my Veg Box- Potatoes ) – I am hosting on my blog. The event was started by citrusspiceuk blog (http://citrusspiceuk.com/).