This spice blend mix is a regularly made by me as I use it a lot. I was first taught how to make it by my father in law who made it in his restaurant. He showed me how to keep this basic mixture ready in the fridge and then add herbs and other ingredients to it when needed. If the masala mixture is made correctly, it should be fine to use up to a fortnight.
- 4 tbls gram flour (Chick pea flour)
- 8 tbls dhana jeeru powder (this is a blend of cumin and coriander powder)
- 1 tbls turmeric
- 1 tbls salt ( you can use it to your taste)
- 1 tbls chili powder (you can adjust it to your taste)
- 4 tbls sunflower oil ( any good cooking oil is fine)
- Mix all the above ingredients and transfer them to a non stick bowl.
- Gently cook the mixture until you can feel the spices heating. Take care not to burn the mixture as this will ruin the taste.
3. Allow this to cool and transfer to a sterile bottle to use when needed. This dry masala remains fresh for a long time as long as you make sure you use a dry spoon when taking it out and don’t add any thing else to the mixture.
4. For some curries, you may wish to add garlic – then add freshly blended garlic to the amount of mixture you wish to use. 5. For some curries you may wish to add desiccated coconut. ground roasted peanuts, ground almond powder or even ground gathia – then add these freshly to the amount of masala you wish to use. 6. You can also add ground oats and peanuts added to it when you need to.
7. The masala is great to use for making stuffed vegetables using different combinations:
9. Best of all you can make any dull looking curry look exciting by adding a couple spoonfuls to it. It helps to thicken the sauce and gives the curry a healthy colour. Take a look this video and let me have your comments.
Do share your home made spice blends with me.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.