This year I have tried to do a bit more gardening and have managed to plant some vegetables – one of which is aubergines. Here is picture of some of my aubergines. I really hadn’t expected the small plant to produce any vegetables so I was really pleased with my crop.The aubergines were just the right size to stuff with my special masala mix and cook.
for the stuffing masala:
- 4 tbls gram flour (Chick pea flour)
- 8 tbls dhana jeeru powder (this is a blend of cumin and coriander powder)
- 1 tbls turmeric
- 1 tbls salt ( you can use it to your taste)
- 1 tbls chili powder (you can adjust it to your taste)
- 4 tbls sunflower oil ( any good cooking oil is fine)
- ½ cup freshly decorated coconut
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
For the curry:
- 3-4 small aubergines
- 5-6 small potatoes
- 1 cup passata
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Make the stuffing masala as per this recipe.
2. Once the masala is made add the garlic and freshly grated coconut to the masala.
2. Chop the aubergines and potatoes and slice them half way to enable you to stuff them with the vegetables.
3. Heat 2 tbls oil and add the cumin seeds. Once they go dark, add the stuffed vegetables. Allow these to cook for 3-4 minutes and turn them gently. Add any left over masala on top of the vegetables and add one cup of hot water to the vegetables and allow them to cook until the potatoes soften.
4. Once the potatoes have softened – add the pasatta and mix very gently using a fork and allow to cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Serve the curry hot with rice or chappatis. My curry made with home grown aubergines was the best I have ever tasted.
Have you tried growing any vegetables this year?