I love experimenting with herbs and spices to making all the Indian breads a bit more exciting. I tried making these parathas by adding cheese and oregano and the results were amazing.
Ingredients for 8 -10 parathas:
- 2 cups of plain chappati flour (or strong wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 heaped spoonfuls butter
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- I cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sunflower oil for layering the paratha and frying them
1. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the salt, turmeric, garlic, butter, 1 tablespoon oil and organo to the flour.
3. Gently pour warm water to the mixture to form a nice pliable dough.
4. Cover the dough for 30 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into small balls – slightly bigger than golf ball size.
6. Sprinkle some flour on a worktop and roll out one paratha as shown below:
7. Sprinkle cheese on the rolled out paratha and fold the paratha in half as shown below:
8. And again in quarter as shown below:
9. Sprinkle some flour into this triangle and roll it out again.
10. Fry this paratha gently in a frying pan using a minimum amount of oil. Making the paratha this way, makes it crispy and fluffy when lightly fried.
11. Sprinkle some more cheese on the parathas and serve with any curry or pickle.