Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha are served for breakfast in a lot of parts of India. They are served up with fresh plain yogurt.(Vegans can use non dairy yoghurt)
I love to eat Alu Paratha with curry for lunch or dinner. They are very easy to make and you can use quite a few vegetables for the filling. Today’s recipe is a simple filling of potatoes, onions, coriander and spices.
For the filling:
- I large and 1 medium potato
- 1 Onion – finely grated
- 2 or 3 green chillies – minced
- small bunch of coriander – cut finely
- half a teaspoon salt
- one teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of garam masala (optional)
For the paratha dough:
- 2 cups of strong wheat flour (often called Atta)
- handful of Atta to use for rolling out the parathas
- pinch of salt
- 1 clove of garlic – minced
- 2 cups sunflower oil
For the filling:
1. Boil the potatoes and mash them using a fork
2. Add in the onions, green chillies and coriander
3. Add in the salt, lemon and sugar
4. Mix well using a fork and leave the mixture covered.
Please taste the mixture and adjust the taste to your preference.
For the dough:
5. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl.
6. Add the salt and garlic to the flour
7. Add two table spoons of oil to the flour.
8. Bind the dough by adding some warm water to the flour. Keep adding small amounts of water until it comes together as a soft dough almost like play dough. Knead it well and let it rest for half an hour.
9. Divide the dough into small balls smaller than a ping pong ball.
11. Fold in the edges of the Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha and seal in the mixture.
12. Using some dusting flour, roll out the Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha.
14. Once the Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha are slightly cooked on both sides, add a very small amount of oil – using either a spoon or a spray oil and continue cooking the Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha until they are almost golden.
15. Continue making the Potato stuffed Parothas or Alu Paratha and save them in a stack.
16. Serve the Alu Paratha with any vegetable curry.
Here are some of my other variations.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.