Ever since I bought the Instant Pot (IP),I have had to change my style of cooking and am always learning new things about the IP. The Instant Pot(IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. I made this mung dall and rice today and couldn’t believe that it got cooked in 8 minutes.
Ingredients for 4 servings of dall:
- One cup Mung dall
- 0ne cups of passata
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 green chilies – chopped (use less if you are not keen on hot food)
- 2 tsps brown sugar or jaggery or sugar substitute
- 1 tbls lemon juice.
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- small bunch of coriander
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 pieces of cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of asafoetida (optional)
Ingredients for the Saffron rice
• 1 cups basmati rice
• 1 heaped teaspoon butter or butter substitute for vegans
• 1 tsp salt
• 10-12 strands Saffron
1. Wash and soak the rice with salt, saffron and butter added to it. for one cup of rice, you need 2 cups of water.
2. Wash and soak the mug dall for an hour
3. Switch the IP to saute mode and add 2 tablespoons of oil, the mustard seeds, dried chili and cinnamon stick allow this to cook until the mustard seeds stops popping.
2. Once the mustard seeds and cloves stop popping, add the mung dall to the oil. Stir the mung dall and add two cups of hot water to stop the dall from sticking to the bottom. Add the salt, turmeric, chili powder, ginger and green chilies and stir. Add in the sugar or sugar substitute.
3..Add the passata .
4. Using the rack provided in the IP, stack the saucepan with the rice over the dall. Switch off Saute mode.Switch to manual mode and cook for 8 minutes. Allow the pressure to cool and check what you have cooked. Add the lemon juice to the dall,garnish with coriander and serve hot dall with rice.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!