Bhatura or Fried Indian bread Recipe is a Punjabi specialty. Bhaturas make a nice combination to have with allu chole. Like a lot of Indian dishes, preparation in important. The Bhatura dough needs to be kept covered in a warm place at least 4 hours for them to be nice and fluffy.
Ingredients for 15 -20 Bhatura – Bhatura or Fried Indian bread Recipe
- 2 cups Plain flour
- ¼ cup finely ground semolina
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Sieve the plain flour and semolina in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the salt, baking powder and yogurt.
3. Add warm water to the flour and form a soft dough.
5. Divide the dough into small balls the size of a golf ball.
6. Roll out your Bhatura in a oval shape. The Bhatura should be left fairly thick.
7. The Bhatura needs to be deep fried in hot oil. Like puris, heat the oil and reduce the flame to medium and cook a couple of bhaturas at a time.
8. Like puris, the Bhatura should rise. Turn them over once, cook second side and remove onto a kitchen paper.
9. Traditionally Bhatura are served with chickpea and potato curry – often referred to as Allu Chole.
How would you serve Bhaturas?