I have recently joined the Home Baker’s Challenge group which hosts monthly baking events. The Group was started by Priya from Versatile recipes and some of her blogger friends. This month’s baking challenge was Home made Pizza from Martha Stewart’s recipe. I was so glad that this month’s challenge was not cake baking as it’s one skill I am not good at.
I followed Martha Stewart’s recipe for making the base but added a few herbs to the base to make it a bit interesting. I also followed her recipe for the Pizza sauce but added some Indian spices and herbs to give it an Indian flavour.
Ingredients for 3 large Pizzas
For the base:
- 500 gms Strong white flour for the base
- 1 tbs dry yeast
- 1tbs sugar
- 150 mls water
- bunch of coriander – chopped finely
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – minced or grated
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
For the topping:
- 500 grams of passata
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced or grated
- 10-12 baby tomatoes
- Mixture of green, red and yellow peppers- sliced or chopped
- 2 sliced onions -sliced finely
- A small bowl of sweetcorn
- 2 or 3 finely diced chillies
- 500 grams Grated cheese: A mixture of cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbs Fresh or dry oregano
- 5-6 tbs of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the Yeast: Pour 150 mls of warm water into a tall jug. Add sugar, and sprinkle in the yeast and stir the mixture until yeast is dissolved. Keep the jug in a warm place for 10-15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the yeast mixture will become frothy and rise.
2. Pour all the flour into a food processor and add the salt, garlic, cumin, fresh coriander and 3 tbs of olive oil. Add yeast mixture and a half a cup of water and mix until the dough comes together.
3. Transfer to dough to a clean surface and knead into a ball.
4. Grease a large bowl with oil and place in the dough. Cover the bowl with a clean dish cloth and keep it in a warm place for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, the dough will have doubled in size.
5. Mix the flour again by folding it. This removes the air. Place the dough again in the bowl and cover with a dish cloth for 30 minutes. The dough will double in size again.
6. Mix the dough and transfer to a clean surface. Using a knife, divide the dough into 3 equal parts
7. Lightly flour a clean surface, take one dough ball and begin to flatten and push the dough evenly out from the centre until it measures about 7 to 8 inches.
8. Transfer the base to a baking tray and bake it for 10 minutes at 170 degrees Centigrade.
10. Pull in the dough in between the gaps and make sure it sticks in the shape. If you like you can add mozzarella cheese under the folds. Bake the base for at least 6-7 minutes to give it a bit of firmness.
11. Now – prepare the toppings:
12. Heat the passata. Add the crushed garlic, sliced green chillies, salt and pepper. Let this simmer whilst you prepare all the other toppings.