I used Orgran Buckwheat Pancake mix to make some spicy pancakes a bit similar to Gujarati pudlas. Please note that Buckwheat is not a grain but a fruit seed and part of the rhubarb family of plants. This link gives you more information about Buckwheat.
Ingredients for 5 pancakes:
- ½ cup buckwheat pancake mix
- 1 small onion -grated
- 1 fresh green chilly chopped into small pieces
- small bunch of freshly chopped coriander
- small piece of grated ginger
- 2 gloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
- ½ tsp. salt
- pinch of turmeric
- 3 tbls oil
1. Transfer the pancake mix into a mixing bowl. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander, salt, turmeric to the pancake mix.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the mixture and mix it all using a spoon.
3. Add half a cup of water to the mixture and stir.
4. This water should be enough but if you feel that the mixture is thick and you can a couple of tablespoons of water.
5. Grease and heat a non stick frying pan with oil. Rub off the excess oil using a kitchen paper. Pour in a small ladle of the pancake mix and using a tablespoon, spread it into a circle.
6. Once the little air bubbles start to appear, it should be easy to turn the pancake over. If the pancakes feel dry, you can add a couple of drops of oil to allow them to brown.
7. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Finish making all the pancakes in the same manner. I didn’t need to add much oil to the pancakes and they cooked fine and tasted great too.
8. Serve Spicy Buckwheat Pancakes hot with your favourite sauce.