I used Orgran Buckwheat Pancake mix to make some spicy pancakes a bit similar to Gujarati pudlas. Please note that Buckwheat is not a grain but a fruit seed and part of the rhubarb family of plants. This link gives you more information about Buckwheat.
Ingredients for 5 pancakes:
- ½ cup buckwheat pancake mix
- 1 small onion -grated
- 1 fresh green chilly chopped into small pieces
- small bunch of freshly chopped coriander
- small piece of grated ginger
- 2 gloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
- ½ tsp. salt
- pinch of turmeric
- 3 tbls oil
1. Transfer the pancake mix into a mixing bowl. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander, salt, turmeric to the pancake mix.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the mixture and mix it all using a spoon.
3. Add half a cup of water to the mixture and stir.
4. This water should be enough but if you feel that the mixture is thick and you can a couple of tablespoons of water.
5. Grease and heat a non stick frying pan with oil. Rub off the excess oil using a kitchen paper. Pour in a small ladle of the pancake mix and using a tablespoon, spread it into a circle.
6. Once the little air bubbles start to appear, it should be easy to turn the pancake over. If the pancakes feel dry, you can add a couple of drops of oil to allow them to brown.
7. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Finish making all the pancakes in the same manner. I didn’t need to add much oil to the pancakes and they cooked fine and tasted great too.
8. Serve Spicy Buckwheat Pancakes hot with your favourite sauce.
I have more unusual pancake recipes in my blog which you may wish to try making:
- Savoury pancakes (Gujarati pudlas)
- Indian Chickpea crepe pancake
- American pancakes
- Spicy Uttapam style pancakes
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.