Paneer dishes have always been a favourite with my family. It’s dish that really disappoints us when we order in a restaurant as they never put enough paneer in the curry. When making it at home, I make sure that there is enough paneer for everyone to enjoy.
What is Paneer?
Paneer is an Indian cheese that’s made from curdled milk . Milk is boiled and either yogurt, vinegar or lemon juice is added to it to separate it. See my recipe for making paneer here. The taste of paneer is very mild and milky but when used in cooking, it takes on the flavours you add to it. The paneer doesn’t melt when cooking so it’s great for adding to curries.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- 225 gms paneer (ready made or store bought)
- 2 cups of peas
- 2 tsps oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves of garlic – grated or minced
- 1 cup tomato (fresh or tinned)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2-3 tsps mixture of coriander and cumin powder (dhana jeeru)
- 2 tsps jaggery
- ½ cup double cream
- Cut the paneer into cubes. Heat the oil in a non stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds get dark. add the garlic and stir the oil. Add the garlic cubes to the oil with the garlic. Add the spices – salt. turmeric. chili powder. cumin and coriander powder. Stir the paneer so that all the spices coat the paneer. Cook this on medium heat for 5 minutes taking care that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
2. Add the peas and allow them to soften.
4. Add the cream and stir and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Your curry is ready to be served hot with rice .
How do you cook your paneer?
- Home made paneer
- Paneer and mixed veg stir fry.
- Mutter paneer curry
- Peas, Spinach and Paneer curry (palak muttar paneer)
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.