Paneer dishes have always been a favourite with my family. It’s dish that really disappoints us when we order in a restaurant as they never put enough paneer in the curry. When making it at home, I make sure that there is enough paneer for everyone to enjoy.
What is Paneer?
Paneer is an Indian cheese that’s made from curdled milk . Milk is boiled and either yogurt, vinegar or lemon juice is added to it to separate it. See my recipe for making paneer here. The taste of paneer is very mild and milky but when used in cooking, it takes on the flavours you add to it. The paneer doesn’t melt when cooking so it’s great for adding to curries.
- 225 paneer ( home made or shop bought is fine)
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 4-5 tbls sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup Passata
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ mixture of cumin and coriander powder
- ½ cup of Greek Style yogurt
- Boil the spinach in half a cup of water and once cooked, put it through the blender and transfer to a saucepan.
2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and transfer them to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the paneer and make sure it covers all the cubes. Spread some good quality aluminium foil under the grill and arrange the cubes of paneer on the foil. Grill the cubes until very light brown turning them when required.
3. Add the paneer and peas to the blended spinach. Add the Passata, salt, chilies, turmeric, blended garlic and heat this on a medium heat.
4. In another saucepan, heat two tablespoons of oil and add the cumin seeds to it. Once the cumin seeds brown, add it to the top of the Spinach, paneer and peas curry.
5. Once this comes to boil, add the greek style yogurt (vegans can add soya yogurt or any plant based cream) and remove from heat. Mix well and serve hot.
What is your favourite Paneer dish?
Other paneer recipes you may wish to try from my blog are:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.