Mutter Paneer or Paneer with green peas dish is a popular curry served in Indian restaurants. However, I always find that they serve the curry with lots of sauce and hardly any paneer pieces. It is a cheap and easy to make this dish to make at home.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 block of 226 gm paneer (for homemade paneer check out: https://www.givemesomespice.com/2010/09/paneer-easy-to-make-recipe.html)
- I cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small onion chopped finely (OPTIONAL)
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 small green chilies sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp mixture of cumin and mustard seeds.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- half tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps a mixture of coriander and cumin powder often called chana jeeru.
- 1 cup pasaata
- ½ cup double cream (optional)
- 2 tsp finely chopped baby spinach (optional)
- 2-3 tbls sunflower oil or similar
1. Heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds. Cut the paneer into cubes and add them to the oil. Mix them gently so that they are coated with oil. Add the sliced chilies and the ginger-garlic paste. Also add the salt, turmeric, dhana jiru and chili powder.2. If you are using spinach or onions you can add them now. Stir and allow this mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes – making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
3. Add the peas and half a cup of water and cook this covered for 4-5 minutes on a medium heat.
4. By now the paneer will have soaked up the spices. Add the passata and allow this to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
5. The curry is now ready but if you wish to make it creamy you can add cream and allow it to cook for a couple of minutes. We prefer it served both ways.
How do you like your mutter paneer?