These tasty parathas with yogurt were perfect for taking on a picnic during the summer. This time, I made them using spinach and herbs as well as sesame seeds so that they tasted a bit like dhebras rather tham theplas.
Ingredients for 12-14 parathas
- 2 cups of chappati flour
- 2 cups of leaf spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 2-3 green chilies (or less)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 2 cups of oil
4. Allow this dough to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 12-14 small balls.
6. Roll out the balls into smallish chappatis. Don’t make them too thin as they will get very crispy if you roll them out thin.
7. Roast these theplas on a hot griddle/frying pan turning them occasionally.
8. Dip a tablespoon into the cooking oil and lightly rub the oil on both sides of the thepla and cook until golden brown. The theplas will puff up so be careful not to press them too hard as the hot air in the theplas could scald you.
9. Cook the theplas until they have little brown patches on both sides. This proves that the theplas are cooked.
10. Finish cooking all the Spinach and sesame seeds parathas and serve them hot or cold with any curry, pickle or plain yogurt.
Check out the variety of thepla recipes on my blog :
- Theplas (Spiced Paratha) with fenugreek, wheat, chickpea and millet flours with an addition of instant oatmeal cereal
- Thepla or Gujarati Methi Fenugreek Lasan Garlic na Theplas using millet, chickpea flour and wheat flour
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.