Our family loves all the flavours of yogurt and the children’s favourite is the Greek style Yogurt. My husband and I like home made yogurt which I make every two days. For this recipe, I used Greek style yogurt for the topping and home made yogurt for dipping the cutlets. The two flavours with some everyday spices made the cutlets taste amazing. Actually I am feeling very pleased with myself as I used my home grown mint and spring onions in the recipe as well.
Ingredients for 8 cutlets:
- A 400 gm. can of kidney beans (240 grams of actual beans)
- 4-5 spring onions
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 heaped tbls chick pea flour(besan)
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- pinch of soda bicarbonate
- 2 tsp virgin Olive oil
- 2 tsp any cooking oil
Ingredients for the topping:
- 2 cups of Greek Style Yogurt
- handful of fresh mint
Ingredients for the dipping yogurt
- 2 cups of yogurt ( I used home made but any yogurt is fine)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
1. Prepare the yogurt for the topping:
Wash and chop the mint and a couple of green leaves from the spring onion and add them to the Greek Yogurt. Mix this using a fork and keep it in the fridge.
2. Prepare the yogurt for dipping the cutlets
Blend the yogurt until smooth. Add salt to taste and keep it in the fridge.
3. To prepare the cutlets drain the liquid from the kidney beans and wash them under cold water. Transfer the kidney beans and roughly chopped spring onions to a food processor. Add some salt and lemon juice and blend this allowing the mixture to be a bit coarse. Add the olive oil to the mixture.
4. Remove the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the chick pea flour to bind the mixture. I needed 2 heaped tablespoons. You may need more or less depending on how wet your mixture is. Also add the soda bicarbonate to the mixture.
5. Preheat the Oven to 200 degrees C. (400 degrees F. or Gas mark 6)
6. Shape your cutlets and arrange them on a baking tray using some parchment paper. Brush them with oil and put them to the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 160 degrees C( 325F or Gas mark 3) and cook for 10 minutes. Check the cutlets and turn them and cook for a further 5 minutes. Dip a sharp knife in the middle to check that it comes out clear.
7. Once cooked, allow the cutlets to cool. Spread some yogurt at the bottom of a dish and layer the cutlets on the top. Finish off with the greek yogurt and allow the mixture to cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.