Happy Father’s Day to all the dad’s out there...Here’s a song for all dad’s…
Summer is here and it’s strawberries season. Strawberries remind me of Wimbledon where strawberries and cream are a favourite. They were a favourite at our School’s Sports day too!! Strawberries are great with on their own but most kids love them dipped in sugar. I like to have cream with my strawberries. With it being father’s day this Sunday, I thought I would make an Indian sweet called shrikand which is made from hung yoghurt for my husband. I thought that I would make the shrikand a bit richer by adding mascarpone cheese to it but somehow ended up making this delicious sweet we have decided to call it strawberry, hung yogurt and mascarpone parfait. It’s really sweet with the lovely fragrance of strawberries – perfect to have in this hot weather.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 250 gms of mascarpone cheese
- 250 gms of hung -curd/yogurt (to make 250 gms of hung curd/yogurt – you may need 500 gms of yogurt)
- 2 heaped tablespoon strawberry jam (I used my homemade strawberry jam)
- 1-2 tablespoon caster sugar (or any artificial sweetener like splenda)
- 10-12 fresh strawberries
- pinch saffron
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
1. To make hung curd/yogurt, I used home made yogurt but you can use any yogurt apart from Greek yogurt. Take a muslin cloth and strain the yogurt through it by hanging it for a couple of hours. This removes all the watery part of the yogurt and the strained end product is referred to as hung curd or hung yogurt.
2. Once you have made the hung yogurt, add it to a mixing bowl with mascarpone cheese and 2 heaped spoons of strawberry jam. I used home made jam which was freshly made with just strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Add the saffron, nutmeg and ground cardamom to the mixture and stir.
3. Mix it all together and taste. If you like very sweet desserts, you can add a tablespoon or two of caster sugar.
4. Reserve 4 strawberries and chop the rest of the strawberries into slices and sprinkle some sugar over them .
5. Layer the glass with the sliced strawberries and serve the parfait cold. You can serve it with just strawberries ……or
6. Or you could pour some syrup over the parfait. I poured toffee syrup and….
7. Sprinkled some Splenda (artificial sweetener) over the strawberries.
So what dessert are you serving for Father’s day?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.