Most Gujarati’s love their theplas and they makes piles of them to take away on picnics and holidays. It’s one of those breads that lasts a few days you can eat with curry, pickle or just a cup of tea. It can be made with a combination of various flours.
Ingredients for 12 theplas
- 1 cup of chappati flour
- ½ cup of chick pea flour (besan flour)
- ½ cup of millet flour (bajra flour)
- ½ cup of corn flour
- ½ a bunch of finely chopped fenugreek (methi)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (ground cumin and coriander)
- ½ cup of wheat flour for dusting the surface when rolling out the theplas.
- Oil : You will need 2 to 3 tablespoons for the dough and a another cup to fry the theplas in.
1. Mix and sieve all the flourd in a mixing bowl. Add the fenugreek, garlic, salt, turmeric, and dhana jiru. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and mix well. Using some warm water, bind the dough. Knead well and keep it covered for an hour.
2. Divide your dough into 12 to 13 small balls.
3. Roll out the theplas by dusting some wheat flour on your work top.
4. Cook them slightly on a hot griddle or tawa or frying pan. Using a spoon, spread some oil over the theplas and cook them until golden brown. Transfer them on to a kitchen paper.
5 These theplas taste nice hot or cold.
Who loves theplas?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.