Every family has members who have specific tastes in their food and the chef in the family always ends up with the job of planning a meal that will please everyone or cooking several dishes to try and please everyone. Some families -like mine- also have members who have certain dietary restrictions so there is an added burden of deciding what to cook!! We have got round this problem by creating a list of foods that is acceptable to all. We keep adding to this list and I am pleased to say that this carrot soup is in that list now!! It’s winter time in UK and also holiday time so it’s nice to be able to cook something that everyone can enjoy. This Carrot soup with hint of onions, garlic, coriander served up with a bit of sunshine! dish is lovely to have on it’s own as a lunchtime snack or can even be tarted up to serve as a starter. Carrot soup with a hint of onions, garlic, coriander served up with a bit of sunshine! a quick and easy to make dish too!!
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 5-6 medium sized carrots
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic
- 1 litre of vegetable stock ( I used a Knorr cube)
- 3 tablespoons of rice ( I used American easy to cook rice)
- Fresh coriander
- 2-3 tablespoons of cream or fresh yogurt (I used Yogurt)
1. Wash and soak the rice in cold water whilst you prepare the vegetables.
2. Wash and peel the carrots and grate them. Chop or grate the onions and garlic. (You can chop the carrots into small cubes if you like!)
3. Melt butter and add the garlic to it. ( I love the smell of butter and garlic cooking!!)
4. Add the carrots and onions and stir.
5. Add boiling water to the vegetable stock and add to the carrots.
6. Drain and add the rice.
7. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
8. The soup should now be cooked. Add the fresh coriander.
9. Using a food processor, blend the soup. As this soup has cooked rice, it makes the soup rich and creamy.
10. If your Carrot soup with a hint of onions, garlic, coriander feels too thick, you can add half a cup boiling water.
11. Just before serving Carrot soup with a hint of onions, garlic, coriander , you can add cream, yogurt or butter if you like. I added some fresh yogurt and it tasted great.
12. The carrots I had were really delicious and sweet and did not need any garnishing. However, you can add salt and pepper or even chilly flakes to the soup depending on your preference.