The credit for this recipe goes to Chef Harpal who comes on a TV show called Turban Tadka. I loved the addition of fennel and carom seeds to his dough and the fact that every puri comes out nice and fluffy.
Ingredients for the main dough:
- 2 cups of chappati flour (Atta)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ carom seeds
- 2 tbls oil
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 1 cup of chick pea flour (besan ; gram flour)
- ½ tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp coarsely ground fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coarsely ground cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbls oil
- 1 litre oil for deep frying the puris.
1. Mix the ingredients for the stuffing and make a pliable dough using warm water. Chick pea flour can be sticky so use a spoon at first and then to finish off, dip your hands in some oil before handling the flour.
2. Once the dough has been made, allow it to rest for 10 -12 minutes and then make 18 -20 small marble size balls. 3. Mix all the ingredients for making the main dough and mix it with warm water to form a pliable dough ( very similar to play dough). Allow the dough to rest for 10-15 minutes and then divide it into 18- 20 small balls. 4. Take the main dough ball and roll it out to a three inch diameter. Put the stuffing ball on top of the diameter and pull the dies of the main dough to cover the small stuffing ball. Roll this out gently to avoid the stuffing coming out of the sides. 5. Deep fro the puris in hot oil and serve hot with your favourite curry.
What curry would you like with your spicy stuffed puris?