Shrikand is a sweet Dish made with yogurt and always served chilled. It is often served with pooris. Most Gujarati thalis have this as one of their sweet items and it provides a refreshing change when eating hot and spicy curries. It can also be served as a sweet dish at the end of a meal. It’s often served at weddings in the summer. This sweet dish has many childhood memories and I must say that I can never replicate the taste of shrikand my dad used to make.
Shrikand recipe is easy and versatile. You can make many variations of it by adding honey or fruit to it. In this recipe I have made it by adding fresh pineapple. You can use tinned pineapple too.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- Yoghurt (I made homemade yogurt with 2 litres of full fat milk – recipe here).
- 8-10 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute ( make it to your taste)
- 1 cup diced pineapple (cut them into very small pieces)
- cardamom- gently crushed in a mortar
- half a teaspoon of saffron
- half a teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- some chocolate chips
1. As shown in my traditional shrikand recipe, strain and tie the homemade yogurt in a muslin cloth for 8-10 hours.
2. Chop the pineapple into small pieces.
3. Take the jung yougurt mixture which should be nice and thick and transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom and nutmeg and mix it well using a mixer
5. Chill this shrikand for a couple of hours and serve it cold – garnished with your favourite toppings. I used chocolate chips and pineapple.
What fruit do you like to add to your Shrikand?
More variations of shrikand recipes from my blog are listed below:
- Traditional Shrikand
- Vegan shrikand
- Mango shrikand
- Shrikand using curd cheese
- Strawberry and mascarpone shrikand
- Mascorpone, Quark and double cream shrikand
- Strawberry, hung yogurt and mascarpone parfait (shrikand) .
- Strawberries with mascorpone cheese shrikand
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/GiveMeSomeSpice/and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.