Mathura ke dubki wale aloo is a spicy potato dish served in a city called Mathura in India. When we visited the city, this curry was served in most of the local eating places. it was served with either puri or khasta kachoris. The potato curry is made from roughly mashed potatoes in a spicy gravy. As I made the dish in the Instant pot, I did not boil the potatoes first as I knew the IP would do that for me. Also I adapted this recipe to suit our taste and used tomatoes and chick pea flour (instead of plain flour) to get the thick sauce. BTW The Instant Pot(IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer.
- 10 -12 baby potatoes
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 cup passata or tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mixture of ginger, garlic and green chilies all blended together using a tablespoon of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mixture of coriander and cumin powder
- 2 tsp chick pea flour
- 1 tsp amchurpowder
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 2 tsps garam masala
- small bunch of fresh coriander and 2 fresh chilies for garnishing
- Peel and wash the baby potatoes. Heat the Instant Pot on Saute mode and add the oil. Once the oil gets hot, add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds brown, add the passata and the spices – salt, turmeric,chili powder, the coriander and cumin powder. Also add the blended ginger, garlic and green chili paste. Stir this and cook for 2-3 minutes until everything is blended and the spices have cooked.
2. Now add the chick pea flour and stir again.
3. Now add the potatoes to the mixture with two cups of warm water. Close the IP lid.
4. Turn off the saute mode and cook on manual mode for 5 minutes.
5. Once the pressure has been naturally released, open the lid and add the garam masala, amchur powder, lemon juice and fresh coriander. You will see that the potatoes have softened a lot and will break easily. Stir and the curry is ready to garnish and serve.
6. The curry is usually served with puris but we served it with bhakhris.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!